Home  |  About AHA  |  Contact Us  |  FAQ

April 23, 2014      
Members Login   
AHA Community Forum
April 23, 2014, 07:23:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the AHA Forums!  To visit the site as a guest, simply go to "Home" on the Forums navigation.  You will not be able to post comments or responses without logging in.

Every person wishing to log in will need to create a new username and password for this board, regardless of activity on the previous board. Simply go to "register."

***Please remember, your username is the name that others will publically see for you.
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gaited Arabians/Half Arabians  (Read 5398 times)
arab51405

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2007, 07:34:52 AM »

Due to many knee problems/surgeries I've been looking more into gaited breeds.  I've rode a few gaited horses and I don't have nearly as much pain in my knee after a ride.  I hate the idea of leaving the arab world, but was wondering if there is anyone out there crossing PB arabs to gaited breeds?   
sensational

nffroggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 11:56:39 AM »

I know that they have 5 gaited Half-Arabs (NSH), but I don't really think that 5-gaited is what you're meaning.
arab51405

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 05:03:45 AM »

I'm looking more for the arab crosses with the Tennessee Walking Horse, paso fino, etc.  Basically more of a pleasure, trail type horse.
chambe94

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 11:21:22 AM »

I knew a rancher in Montana who used all TWH/Arab crosses on his farm.  70-80% were natually gaited, and most of the rest could be trained to gait.

They worked cattle very well too.

If you're just using them for trail riding/endurance I'd say go for it (they probably wouldn't have a market in the show world though).
KellyHB1

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 01:12:04 PM »

This sounds weird, but my purebred arab can "Fox trot"!  I trained for Natrc and endurance with my riding partner who rides a fox trotter and my arab (LK MR BLACK) picked it up and even got the fox trotter people's attention.  I  later found out that there are some arabs that will gate naturally and do a running walk.
I think he picked it up because my friend's horse gated faster than a walk but slower than an endurance trot.  I would walk then trot over and over again to stay behind the fox trotter and eventually my horse just started fox trotting to keep the pace.  We rode like this for many years together and it is pretty comfortable!
robbi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 06:18:58 PM »

I have a TWH/Arabian who is trained to 1st level dressage and is a fantastic trail horse. He is not gaited but is extremely smooth and comfortable to ride, but is always the fastest horse on the trail. Loooooong steps and an energetic pace!
Jingo-ace

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 07:31:52 AM »

I have a 1/2 arab 1/2 foxtrotter right now, and he doesn't
gait under-saddle.   I have seen him gait in turn-out, and have
been told by a couple of "wanna-be" trainers that they could
get him gaiting for me... but it's not that important to me.
So, even though the "wiring" is there to gait, it doesn't seem
to be natural for him to gait...

My sister has a full foxtrotter, and she RAVES about how
much more comfortable she is riding his gait, rather than a
trotting horse, on the trail.   She has had tons of problems
with her back & knees prior to this horse, but now seems to
be in 7th heaven.

Hope you find what you are looking for,
Smiley J

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly"
inkslngr7

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 01:38:06 PM »

I have a registered half arabian filly who's sire is a missouri foxtrotter. Her dam died when she was 4 days old(long story)and I raised her on formula. For some reason she seems to have been stunted and may never reach 14 hands. But anyway, there are others in my area, check craigslist, springfield, mo and you will see them from time to time. You can put in a search for half arabians.
I have 2 beautiful buckskin half arabians for sale now. Both are colts but are Quarterhorse crosses.
JamieMc83

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 03:27:42 PM »

This thread is similar to the one I started -- Half Pinto/Arab?

I'm just wondering what the market is like for a Half-Gaited/Arab.
Particularly a Half-Tennessee Walking Horse/Arab.

Would it make a difference if the resulting foal is tobiano and can also be registered with PtHA (Pinto).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: