Home  |  About AHA  |  Contact Us  |  FAQ

July 25, 2014      
Members Login   
AHA Community Forum
July 25, 2014, 11:19:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the AHA Forums!  To visit the site as a guest, simply go to "Home" on the Forums navigation.  You will not be able to post comments or responses without logging in.

Every person wishing to log in will need to create a new username and password for this board, regardless of activity on the previous board. Simply go to "register."

***Please remember, your username is the name that others will publically see for you.
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How common is cedar allergy to horses?????  (Read 2521 times)
lovemypinto
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:14:19 PM »

A funny thing happened to my Pinto boy over the weekend.   Saturday he was fine, trainer lounged him.  No problems reported.
Sunday I go out to the barn to wash legs and tail and some good ole grooming per usual.  Well OMG....I lead Keyanu out of his stall and his rt forearm and knee looked weird.   I thought...hmmm...must be the lighting and the fact that he was quite hairy.   Anyway....I got a real good look at his leg once in the cross ties.   OMG....it was really swollen and tight.  I got out my tape measure to compare his rt to his lt "well" leg.  The forearm was 3 1/4 inches larger in cir****ference, his knee was 2 inches larger in cir****ference compared to the "well" leg.   So I took his temp...102.8 and then listened to his belly .... which was fine.  Checked his breathing and pedal pulses on both front legs. Hoofs even temp to feel. All fine there too.    He acted sore, but not lame.   I decided to hit him with 2 grams of bute.  And start running cold water over the leg.  But I decide not to walk him..incase of a nondisplaced fx (think hairline) or torn ligaments...why make it worst.  Called my vet.
Vet came, about 5 hours later...(she was on a horrible emergency call with a mare with retained placenta and a foal not doing too well)  By then his temp was 99.9 and I got tiny bit scolded for the bute...LOL...She checked him out to see if he may had torn/strained a ligament or a muscle.  She checked his shoulders and elbow for any misalignment (I asked if this could be a poss stain there) Nope all mechanically was well.    We found a tiny old abrasion then some hives on the forearm (they were not there when I first started to check him over earlier in the day...the hives appeared as the day went on.  My vets tech mentioned the barn sure smelled good.  I said something about cedar shavings....then my vet said it could be the shavings...the oil in cedar wood.    All the horses in the barn had been on these shaving for over 2  weeks and now my horse has a problem?Huh!!!   Well she checked him over more, no swollen nodes, walked and trotted him out...no lameness.  But his forearm on the back side medial is sore...doesn't like the area to be touched, but deals with it.   So she decided that its a allerigic reaction to the cedar, and maybe that abrasion that has some scab on it absorbed some oil?   But definitely because of the hives....a allergy event. 
So my vet gives him 2 more of Bute IV.  Also a Equi-stem to help kick start his immun system into action to help with this.  Also continue the cold water for 10 minutes then walk for 10 minutes then back to 10 minutes of cold water followed by another 10 minutes walk.   Then follow up with a ice wrap for 2 hours.  ( its a product called Equi-sport.  Has a thin ace wrap like bandage that you soak in a liquid that gets cold and stays cold) .  Also strip his stall and get pine shavings in it.  Well the feed stores are closed by now, so he had to spend the night on the shavings that were in his stall.  The stall was striped in the AM by the workers,  I brought bagged shavings to bed his stall.
Today its looking better, tho the edema is moving downward...gravity..can't stop gravity.  the forearm has gone down 3/4 inch, the  knee the same and just below the knee the measurement is 1 inch larger in cir****ference than the "well" leg.   Keyanu is bright, alert and reactive.  His usual self, eating, pooping and peeing.   So I think we are somewhat out of the woods.  Prob by this weekend this event will be history.  I have to say that I did consider for about 15 minutes of not calling my vet, but then if ....just if it was muscle, ligament or god knows what....it would only get worse. 
But have you ever heard of horses being sensitive or allergic to cedar oil?     Love to hear comments.  I am not doubting my vet as I don't have any reason too, but I just wanted to learn more about this.   
maz

Love from Maz, Shanee, Roc, and Trix

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 06:16:17 AM »

seems to me light skinned horses have greater reactions, i keep trii hist on hand for my mare with the hi stockings. 

With the greatest interrest in the best Arabians, CMK and American Foundations.

Distance Riding and SH
lovemypinto
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 06:49:57 AM »

Thought I didn't post pix,  the hives were on his white haired area with pink skin.    I did take pix of the leg in general to track the swelling on my iPhone, if I can figure out how to download from my iPhone to computer to post I would.
I have to work today, so my friend Megan is going to do the honors of the 10 minute routine.  I hope that she calls me with good news that things are improving.  Sony
maz

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 07:53:44 AM »

i figurred it was on the white because of experience.  and a horse that reacts to that may also react to ant bite, other bug bites and various pollens in skin contact.  get some tri hist and put it in your tack room and trailer, when you think he's itching give him a scoop with feed.  the quicker you get it in him the less the reaction.

trix would get it on all 4 legs and at first i thought she had something like poison ivy as after the edema it turned into the ugliest weeping gooy sores.

takes about a month if it gets to that point to heal everything up and get hair back on patches that loose it.  about a week really nasty stuff. 

i have seen other colors do this too but more those with pink skin, the cedar was probably pollenating when harvested.

Distance Riding and SH
lovemypinto
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:13:08 AM »

Maz... what is the brand name...who makes it.... of the tri hist.  Is this something I can buy at the feed store?   I will definitely get some to keep on hand.  I have noticed that Keyanu does tend to get hives.  One time I accidently curried him a bit too much during a good grooming session, then followed up with some fly spray.  OMG the next day bump city!  I washed him off and my trainer had some (sp) azium powder.   His poor neck was so sore to touch. 
Well so far Keyanu has been a very healthy sound horse, if this is the only thing I have to deal and take precausions with, I consider myself lucky.   
sony
Kheepnthefaith

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:52:34 AM »

Not sure how common Cedar allergy is but that is what I had to use for one of my horses when we went to shows.  He was allergic to pine & pne bedding.  Luckily, he was fine with the hardwood stuff I got from the local sawmill, but for shows, I had to shell out more for the cedar bags.  He didnt break out, his was a breathing allergy, would get heave-y and couldnt breathe.

I had another horse that was more sensative than the rest in the barn.  I bought some fly spray once that eventually broke all of them out to some degree but this one guy broke out first and worst.

So, your horse could be the only one in the barn allergic to the cedar and he could be just a very sensative horse.  But sometimes, those are the ones that let you catch problems early on!

Good luck with your horse, hopefully, it is just a simple allergy to one thing like that and very easily managed.

Deneb
maz

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 11:00:21 AM »

tri hyst or tri hist, you may need to get it from your vet, i've seen it in the valley vet catolouge. we've had ours so long the label has come off and i've written the directions in sharpie on it.  it's powdered horse antihystimine.  someone said something about giving them people benedryl but i couldn't imagine the dosage or cost.  this is not expensive stuff and can't imagine it not being in most first aide kits. 

be careful when just getting shavings from the lumber mill, black walnut shavings can founder and kill a horse. 

Distance Riding and SH
lovemypinto
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 01:13:05 PM »

tri hyst or tri hist, you may need to get it from your vet, i've seen it in the valley vet catolouge. we've had ours so long the label has come off and i've written the directions in sharpie on it.  it's powdered horse antihystimine.  someone said something about giving them people benedryl but i couldn't imagine the dosage or cost.  this is not expensive stuff and can't imagine it not being in most first aide kits. 

be careful when just getting shavings from the lumber mill, black walnut shavings can founder and kill a horse. 

Ooo yea know about the black walnut shavings.   Don't think that is a problem here, but I should check to make sure my trainer is aware.  I am not sure if we have black walnut trees here in my state.  But worth checking into too.  Sony
montanas girl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 04:29:49 PM »

Tri-Hist is available by prescription only. It smells great, but many horses (mine included) won't eat it. I never had any luck with it, or any of the non-prescription versions (like Ani-Hist). Sometimes Benadryl will work - 10 tablets (DON'T get caplet - trust me - way too much work!) twice a day. I don't even have to crush them; Montana will eat them whole mixed in with his grain. Talk to your vet, though, before treating with anything like that.

Montana is a super sensitive guy, too. I used to have all kinds of problems with him randomly breaking out in hives that could only be resolved with dexamethasone (not something I liked doing any more than I had to). Then he started having respiratory issues and was diagnosed with Recurrent Airway Obstruction (heaves). We ran an allergy panel, and it turns out he's allergic to a million things, including corn, oats, and molasses. As soon as I eliminated those from his diet, 95% of his symptoms disappeared. He breaks out in hives maybe once or twice a year now and usually only has a bad breathing day when the weather changes suddenly.

Cedar shavings aren't great for horses, whether your guy is sensitive to them or not. They tend to cause respiratory issues.
siiiamese

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 07:36:34 PM »

be careful with the tri-hist from valley vet.  the "stabilizer" was soomething that my older horse was so allergic to it almost killed him.  we literally had hauled him to the vet and given him that afternoon to either get better or be euthanized.
blkenney

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 09:15:19 PM »

Hi
I thought it would be great for my horse and spent money like crazy and made it smell great etc.  Within a half hour my horse had hives like crazy.  So we took him out called the vet and gave him a shot and we spent the next hour putting the in the wheelbarrow and dumping it in the  arena.  Then went to the tack store and purchased the pine shavings which he still loves to spread and roll.

Ps:  he did roll in them Grin
Gray*Carrie*Khali

jaycyrewin jaycyrewin
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 07:40:20 PM »

My mare can't be NEAR cedar shavings. Hives ALL over. I'm starting to wonder if certain bags of pine shavings bother her more too. Anybody know where to get newspaper bedding in NC? Smiley

Trihist works well, 10 benedryl (just plain diphenhydramine HCl) usually can get hers under control.

Just becareful if you're showing... trihist and benedryl will test. Gotta have one of those vet forms for a USEF show if they are closer then 14 days I think. Smiley

I also keep some azium on hand but ONLY use that when she's COVERED in hives!

lovemypinto
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 03:12:07 PM »

I am posting an update on Keyanu and  I am happy to report that his leg...the forearm is 100% better, just about normal.  The knee and cannon....about half the size.  So I would say its safe to say he is on the road to recovery.  My vet has been very good about calling back after I call with a  daily update.   Lucky for me I been home most of the week with a cold and sinus aches...so I have been about to go out and check up on him...rather than bug my trainer about how is he doing. 
I am also glad to say...we are back on pine shavings, too.  Sony
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: