Home  |  About AHA  |  Contact Us  |  FAQ

September 23, 2014      
Members Login   
AHA Community Forum
September 23, 2014, 01:18:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the AHA Forums!  To visit the site as a guest, simply go to "Home" on the Forums navigation.  You will not be able to post comments or responses without logging in.

Every person wishing to log in will need to create a new username and password for this board, regardless of activity on the previous board. Simply go to "register."

***Please remember, your username is the name that others will publically see for you.
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Egyptian Arabian for adoption  (Read 6963 times)
SweetMelanieBey

Sweet Melanie Bey (Bravado Bey V + Lau De Dah)

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2008, 08:04:18 PM »

I saw this guy when I was looking through the list of adoptable horses on the Habitat for Horses webpage, and thought that he was just too gorgeous. His registered name is Thee Vaquaro (#0554185), He is a Thee Desperado son, and I don't really know that much about him, except that he was used for a breeding stallion before arriving at the rescue, where he was gelded.

Here is the link to his Habitat for Horses page:
http://www.habitatforhorses.org/adoptahorse/vaquaro.html

I just was so suprised and saddened to see that a horse of his caliber had gone through such terrible times. I think it would be great if some one from the arabian horse "world" adopted this guy, who would really appreciate him, and let him live out his life in a pasture without any worries.

Here is a link to a picture of him when he was younger, he is the first horse on the page:
http://www.twelveoaksarabians.com/Progeny.html

I don't know if he's been adopted yet, but I just thought I'd share it with you Grin
greymare
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 05:37:40 AM »

Interesting that the breeder has him on their website, yet his sits at a rescue basically a cripple...they should take him and give him an honorable retirement...how frustrating.

Looks like he has some conformational faults and never should have been bred.  What a sham.

I hope someone is looking for a nice companion horse and takes him in.  Poor guy.
greymare
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »

I wrote the breeders of the horse simply stating that they might want to remove him from their list of successes given his current state of affairs: this was their response:

So now you are my web site editor??  I don't think that's any of YOUR business!!  Talk to the owner who abused Vaquaro.  It wasn't me and while he was with me he was well taken care of and successful.  It's a shame what happened to him but it's out of my hands.

Don't write me again!

Carolyn Shelton

I am shocked, and very disheartened- what is wrong with people?  Clearly from their website they have enough money to do right by this horse, but I guess exploiting him is really all they care about.  So sad.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:21:58 AM by greymare » Logged
SweetMelanieBey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 11:08:58 AM »

Oh my gosh ! What do they think gives them the right to be so rude???

I have and always will believe that a breeder should remain responsible for the horses they brought into this world, even after they have sold them. This poor boy has gone through so much trauma, and yet they are too selfish to help him.

So sad...
Destiny2009

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 11:35:41 AM »

I wish I had the room for him.  I have 8 and 3 are rescues.  He sure looks like a sweet boy.  Some breeders are in it for the money.  I know of a breeder that takes mares to the local auction without their papers.  They also donate mares to a rescue for the tax right off.  Also with no papers.  Greedy and selfish are the two words I can think of. 
Judy

Home of Fadjurz Destiny(Fadjurz Ideal x BSSA Fadkiss)2009 bay stallion.
smokygirl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 05:56:11 AM »

On another site, the breeder had posted. She doesn't have the facility or resources to take him back.  She has been in contact with the rescue.

With the problems this horse has had (including the fact that he'd been adopted out once, and it was a big mistake), and the fact that he's in an incredible amount of pain.. I think it would be smart of the rescue to let him go to his great reward, instead of trying to foist him off on someone who is probably going to end up returning him again.  The amount of work he needs just to be a viable companion horse and to be pain free is going to be off putting to most.
greymare
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 08:54:38 AM »

Her farm certainly looks like it has the space for a gelding- not really sure what that means???
smokygirl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 03:05:24 PM »

She doesn't currently have the resources to rehabilitate him.  His previous owner not only starved him (the one rescued from, not the one she originally sold him too), really really injured him. He's chronically in pain.  He will recquire a lot of therapy that she can't provide to him. She has been in contact with the rescue. They have several applicants, but not many can give the boy the rehab he will need.

Not to mention the fact taht most rescues don't allow breeders to adopt anything, even geldings. That's an entirely different can of worms.
SweetMelanieBey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 03:37:59 PM »

I appreciate what you are trying to say, smokygirl, but who doesn't have the facilities to take on a gelding????I don't quite understand that...

The rescue has had him in a foster home previously, and they have said that he is ready to be adopted. If he was in that much pain, they wouldn't put him up for adoption.

The farm that he was bred at has plenty of pasture area (it seems like it anyway)and they are responsible for bringing him into this world, so they should have to care for him after his rescue.
greymare
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 04:14:55 PM »

Sweetmelanybay- exactly.  The bottom line is that the breeder doesn't "have the resources to care for him" because he is a gelding and can't make any money for them. 

Plus, there is no reason for her to have responded to me in such a rude manner.  If the horse is in so much pain he should be euthanized.

I think Smokey might be going off old information when he was initially brought to the rescue and adopted in 2006.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:16:54 PM by greymare » Logged
smokygirl

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 08:45:09 AM »

She doesn't have the facilities to get the equipment for his therapy.  It will be expensive, and require a lot of specialized equipment.
smokygirl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 08:47:40 AM »

And no, this was current information. The reason he was returned to the rescue (he was adopted once) is because of chronic pain. I agree, he should be euthanised, (and I think the breeder does as well, but they haven't said so, so i can't put words in their mouth). But the rescue doesn't feel that way.

They have had someone interested in getting this horse the chiropractic and vet care (poss. surgery), but are for some reason dragging their heels. The person interested was contacted with the breeder, and have been waiting for over a month with no reason as to why.

Another issue is that this rescue, like many, won't adopt horses out to a breeder, even geldings.  (I have no idea why not).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:49:25 AM by smokygirl » Logged
smokygirl

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 09:10:03 AM »

I agree with you that there is no reason for the breeder to have been so rude. This is a sore spot with her currently as she has been in contact with the rescue, and has had people keep calling and emailing to let her know, and there isn't anything she can do about it. (beyond finding people interested in him, which she has done).
greymare
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 10:17:14 AM »

I really wish she would have responded with something to that effect, rather than so rudely.  Thanks for giving that information, it certainly adds a new light on the issue.  How sad for the horse. Do you know what the previous owner did to him to put him in so much pain?
shadow1101

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 03:35:42 PM »

allright, someone has to be the devils advocate.  So here goes:
So, a breeder has to be responsible for a horse for its entire lifetime?  How wonderful!! No more unwanted horses-- breeders must be willing, after 10 or 20 or even 30 years,  to  be willing to take back any horse they bred, even if that horse is now sick/infirm/a discipline problem/old etc etc etc? Even if said breeder has retierd/moved to a smaller place/become ill themselves/widowed/financial resources now stretched etc etc etc?
Doesnt seem realistic to me!
I think you can be a responsible breeder-  take care to breed healthy, quality individuals, give them a great start health/handling/training wise and get them into the hands of a responsible owner-- and hopefully do it again for the love of the animals.
Its like the puppy mill dilema--  RESPONSIBLE Breeders are not the problem!!! 
OK-- back to the discussion we were having before I had to get that off my mind-- sounds like the breeder was rude in her email, could have shown more empathy for the poor horse, but she should not be given the blame for what others did to him.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: