Home  |  About AHA  |  Contact Us  |  FAQ

July 29, 2014      
Members Login   
AHA Community Forum
July 29, 2014, 09:57:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the AHA Forums!  To visit the site as a guest, simply go to "Home" on the Forums navigation.  You will not be able to post comments or responses without logging in.

Every person wishing to log in will need to create a new username and password for this board, regardless of activity on the previous board. Simply go to "register."

***Please remember, your username is the name that others will publically see for you.
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Halter showing rant  (Read 34910 times)
arabianponies

Renegade Farm Arabian Ponies

View Profile WWW
« on: May 10, 2007, 07:36:14 AM »

I have some questions....

Why are people shaving the hair around the eyes off?  It looks so stupid!  Maybe you are doing it to enhance the size of the eye, but then isn't that artificial beauty?

Next, the use of grease on the faces is getting out of hand.  In the new magazine, there is a young stud that is so covered with face grease that he looks as though he is about to drip!

I don't mean to bash anybody!  But if I was a non horse person, I would be wondering why these practices are being used because it is artificially trying to enhance a horses beauty.  It is not showing them in their natural beauty at all.  It actually makes me cringe because who would want to pet that horse.  Better not let him rub his face on you at all or you may be all greased up too.

Why has the Arabian show world moved so far away form natural beauty?  The fashion now seems to be who can grease up the most or shave the most hair off the face.  It is getting rediculous!  I think AHA should rethink some rules at shows and return it back to natural beauty! 

One more thing, no wonder non Arabian horse owners think Arabs are freaks!  It seems the higher the head in halter, the freakier wide eyed look, and the more flash the better.  What is wrong with this picture?  We should be trying to promote why peole should desire Arabians as gentle horses yet we parade them around like crazy horses in halter!  This seems backwards to me.  We should be trying to achieve calmness, gentleness, and not this wide eyed freak in the show ring.

The big shots may think it is cool what they do in the arena in halter, but it does nothing for the reputation of Arabians in the world at large!  It's time for Arabian Horse people to rethink what they are  telling people by doing all this....Stuff to their horses.  "You are such a beautiful horse, but I gotta fix you up to make your eyes and nostrils look bigger and like you dipped you face in a vat of baby oil, and don't forget my sweet horse, you have to look like you are on the verge of out of control to be really beautiful, so I have my whip with me for that too!  But  remember dear horse, I  love you just the way you are!"  NOT!

Trim the bridle path, clip the whiskers off, clip the long hair on the legs, but don't go overboard!  It is not flattering to anybody but the people who do it!

jean

Jean Jones
Breeder of Champion Quality Half Arabians and Arabian Ponies!
Founder, Arabian Pony Registry of America
twnkltoz

twynkltoz
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 07:44:24 AM »

You would probably enjoy watching sport horse in-hand rather than halter.

Jennifer Walker
One Hot Lady (Unquestionably Hot x CF Farallon)
Chall's Image (Magnum Chall x SH Luvs Echo)
Visit my blog at http://www.jenniferlwalker.blogspot.com.
arabianponies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 08:11:07 AM »

You bet I prefer to watch sport horse in hand because they are shown naturally!  The more calm the better and forget about the grease!  I love that.  Now if the rest of them can do it too!  My hat goes off to sport horse people!!!!!!  You got my vote on being the most appropriate exhibits of Arabians to the public!!!!!!

jean

Jean Jones
heidi larson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 12:40:10 PM »

I believe some of the CMK people also show naturally.  Like the Foundation QH people who hate the peanut roller and fake tail look!! 

heidi and her three Au Natural geldings that "gasp" still have their whiskers!!
deettah

deettah
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 12:47:31 PM »

I think that this is an ongoing argument that I have also been known to gripe about on occasion however, unfortunately, it's not going to change anytime soon.  Last year at Scottsdale there were many halter presenters with many well bred horses but you know who was my favorite?  The little unknown woman with her teenaged mare, unclipped, just nicely groomed, and showed everyone that it doesn't take money to be a proud Arab owner.  Unfortunately the cheers and novelty of that woman showing her lovely mare were soon lost in the hype of the modern show ring.  The rules don't disqualify you for not clipping and greasing so my suggestion is that if you want to make a statement, hold your head high and show halter without all of that gunk.

arabianponies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 02:07:15 PM »

That was well said!  Couldn't have said it better myself!  Bless the lady's efforts for doing the right thing instead of the "in" thing!  If more people would just have the courage to do the same, it would make a difference!

jean

Jean Jones
arabianponies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 02:11:21 PM »

I believe some of the CMK people also show naturally.  Like the Foundation QH people who hate the peanut roller and fake tail look!! 

heidi and her three Au Natural geldings that "gasp" still have their whiskers!!

God gave them whiskers, so who are we to take them off!

jean

Jean Jones
sweetwaterarabians

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 11:17:48 AM »

I don't see why anyone likes the shaving/make up around the eyes. It's awful looking. It only makes them look like freaks and like the their eyes have been cut out. Yes, I agree, far too much goop and make up and shaving. I'm all for a nice clipped horse but some people get carried away with it. I don't see it every changing though. Look at the world today and see how much people are into the whole artificial stuff with all the plastic surgery and all going on. People take everything to the extremes these days. When I see a horse with all that garbage on them I don't even want to look at them because they look so trashy that it takes away from the poor horse underneath all that. With a breed as beautiful as the Arabian is it's really sad to see this done to them.

Sweetwater Arabians - Shannon Kimes
Anxiously awaiting'08 foal by Al-Marah Fight Fair and out of Elfin Reign SA!!
Ferrana

Lauruffian
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 09:25:42 PM »

I know halter showing practices are a bit of a hot button, and I usually try to avoid the topic.  But I will say this:

The first, and only, time I've ever seen halter classes at an A show I had to turn away to keep from crying. It wasn't so much what was going on in the ring as what people were doing to hype their horses up right before entering the ring.  It disturbed me, to say the least.  I still hope I just was misunderstanding what I was seeing, but it's not like anyone was there to explain it to me--or some casual visitor with less horse-sense than I.

My hubby hates what he calls the "sea horse" look that is prevalent in Arab magazines--hooked neck, hyper dished profile, lots of greasepaint, balding, and so on.  He loves our Arabian, but he hates Arabian advertisements.

Like all fashion, it will change in time.  We shall see where it goes...

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got.
LyricalMotion

cowgirlsrule3@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 10:35:49 PM »

you make some good points..
I personally do like just enough highlighter.. its fabulous. but many arabians have way tooo much on I agree!
I only shave bridal path, long hair on legs, and the long whiskers.. I dont like going overboard on that..

-Renee-
Windd

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 06:45:35 AM »

We shave my horses eyes, ears, legs, face, whiskers (with a Venus Divine lol),brildepath, and thats about all I can think of. We did this and at the last show the showmanship judge was still like you didn't clip your horse enough. But I told her I wasn't going to body clip him and make him freeze and risk his health. I just said showing wasn't worth that. I will admit it is VERY hard to get stubborn green and yellow spots off of Windd and that is one reason we clip. We use baby oil to grease his face and eyes but we don't over do because he simply doesn't need it. I don't want to offend anyone when I say this but I think if you have to dump 5 gallons of grease on your horses face to make it look pretty...then you have a problem. Be confident with what you have. It like a human. You know how so many young girls are going to the tanning bed all the time and they are risking their life for skin cancer just to look better, well I see the same thing happening here. But I think it is just a phase  and I think it will go back to the more natural look.
gman

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 07:28:44 AM »

HI ALL,
I HAVE SEEN THIS TOPIC ON MANY OCCASIONS.  HALTER CLASSES ARE BEAUTY CONTESTS.  PLAIN AND SIMPLE.  THE EYES ARE SHAVED TO EMPHASIZE THE EYE AND MAKE IT LOOK LARGER.  THE FACE IS CLIPPED TO EMPHASIZE THE BONE STRUCTURE AND GIVE THE FACE A CLEANER, NEATER LOOK.  THE GREASE IS APPLIED TO CREATE CONTRAST.  THE BRIDLE PATH IS CLIPPED TO ACCENTUATE THE LENGTH OF NECK AND THE THROAT LATCH.
  I KEEP HEARING ABOUT ALL THE HORRIBLE THINGS DONE TO HALTER HORSES BEFORE THE CLASS.  I HAVE SHOWN HALTER AS AN AMATEUR FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND IT HAS BEEN AT LEAST FIFTEEN YEARS SINCE I HAVE SEEN ANYONE WHIP A HORSE BEFORE A CLASS.  THAT'S ABOUT THE TIME THAT THE ASSOC. PASSED THE RULE ABOUT WHIPMARKS.  WHIPMARKS WILL GET YOU EXCUSED FROM THE CLASS.  THESE URBAN MYTHS HAVE BEEN AROUND FOREVER AND PROBABLY ALWAYS WILL BE.  I WOULD SAY THIS, IF YOU SEE SOMEONE ABUSING A HORSE (AT A SHOW OR ANYWHERE ELSE)  WHIP OUT YOUR TRUSTY CELL PHONE AND TAKE A PICTURE OF IT.  THEN REPORT IT (WITH YOUR PHOTO) TO THE SHOW STEWARD OR THE PROPER AUTHORITIES.  IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO FOLLOW UP THEN YOU SHOULD NOT COMPLAIN.  HAPPY TRAILS.
GMAN

STEVE MANSKER
STRANGER CREEK ARABIANS
arabianponies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 09:02:43 AM »

SO you want to make their eyes look bigger than they are naturally?  What for? There is no reason or point other than you want the biggest eyed horse out there!  What is wrong with the eyes they already have? Nothing!  Don't you get the point.  It is artificially enhancing instead of letting their true beauty be what wins the class.

I have seen arabian owners running with their horse to show them off, yanking on the lead to keep getting the heads up!  Personaly that is wrong.  If the horse wants carry it's head naturally then great.  Why does it have to be in the air like a ballon? 

I was ambarrased the last time I was in public around other Arabians.  These studs were out of control half the time rearing, jumping around trying to challenge other horses.  Here I am trying to promote the gentleness of Arabian horses and then this?  I went to the stalls later only to get charged by a few of them.  This is humane right? Not even!  My 12 year old daughter was riding our stud and he was quiet, calm, beautiful, behaved and we didn't have to doll him all up to get alot of attention!  His nature and natural beauty got him noticed by the general public and other horsemen alike of all breeds.

My half Arabian stud was the hit of the event and nobody could guess his breed because they thought Arabians were stupid high headed flighty horses, and current halther showing practices only cement that opinion to non arabian horse owners.

My biggest point is why are people trying to make them look unnatural to win?  I have had Arabians for 30 years and never have or ever will do that to my proud horses!  It is only proving to the rest of the world that Arabian owners and horses are only skin deep.  I have worked hard to prove otherwise.  I am ashamed that more Arabian owners don't look at it from an outsider point of view and think about the kind of messages are being sent by the practices that are used.

Beauty contest!  How ignorrant.  What are you trying to promote, beauty and brains or is it only beauty that counts?  Halter is supposed to promote what horses are of better breeding quality.  How can you tell who is a better horse if everything you see is fake! 

I live in QH country and have earned the respect of local breeders for having good Arabians!  Can QH and APHA people say that about you?  My horses get barrowed for hunting trips for two weeks in the mountains because they are willing, gentle, calm, reliable, yet very arabian in appearance by QH people.

Is your horse something more than just another bimbo in a swimsuit or is the beauty only skin deep?  What do you want people to remember about your horse when it is passed on?  "Man was he pretty but what an air head" or would you prefer "That horse was truely a great horse and could win no matter what"

Like I said before, what is done in halter calsses only looks good to the people that do it!  Most Arabian owners don't like it or approve because they are so beautiful on their own, why do you think you have to fake it up for them to be beautiful.

jean

Jean Jones
siiiamese

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 09:53:56 AM »

here's a thought .............. instead of writing hateful things about main ring halter/the horse that show there/and the people who own or show them - - just don't watch or enter those classes.  If what you prefer is the sporthorse halter, just go do that and quit putting down the others.  if you do not want to shave your horse's whiskers, then don't do it - - but the people who do want a cleaner shaven look like their horses that way - -  so just leave them alone and do what you want with your own horse
as gman pointed out, halter is very like a beauty contest - - would you participate in that without shaving your legs or underarms?  without doing your hair and makeup?
LyricalMotion

cowgirlsrule3@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 10:15:18 AM »

wow heated topic.. I know I posted in this yesterday but Im gonna talk abit more.
I see both sides..
I dont have a huge issue with arabian halter.. I believe in a little bit of artificial enhancement.. I mean its good to accentuate what your horse already has. I do that with my eye makeup... I put highlighter at times on my Quarter Horse, I cut her mane band it, slick her up, put on hoof polish, ect.
So mainly my verdict: it's fine AS LONG as people do not abuse their horses or get it revved up in some mean innapropriate way, and many do not, but yes there are some that do.

-Renee-
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Jump to: