Home  |  About AHA  |  Contact Us  |  FAQ

October 21, 2014      
Members Login   
AHA Community Forum
October 21, 2014, 08:05:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the AHA Forums!  To visit the site as a guest, simply go to "Home" on the Forums navigation.  You will not be able to post comments or responses without logging in.

Every person wishing to log in will need to create a new username and password for this board, regardless of activity on the previous board. Simply go to "register."

***Please remember, your username is the name that others will publically see for you.
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: average arabian height???  (Read 7697 times)
jnjarabiansjm

jackifantasia
View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 18, 2008, 09:47:40 AM »

i was wondering what the average arabian height is for a halter arab and a preformance arabian? i have a beautiful arabian stallion that is chesnut with a flexan mane and tail and he is on the small side.he is about 14.2 hh just wondering what you think
swim-n-ride

allosp
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 10:09:26 AM »

I hope others, more active in showing will reply. I am curious. It seems that the Arabian breed was long ago infected with the "bigger is better" disease. 14.2 should be a very standard size for an Arabian, but I am afraid that 15.2 and up has become the norm, at least in the show ring. But, depending on bloodlines, there can be a big difference among Arabs of the same height. But, again, I am curious to see the input from folks who are currently active out in the show world.
If a judge is going on breed standard, then your 14.2 Arab fits in just fine, so go for it! I am a tall woman, but I have never owned one of these super sized Arabs that are out there. I select them by type, quality, and temperament. As long as they are in the standard, size has not concerned me.
p.s., would love to see a pic of your stallion!
Natazshil

Laddie4ever@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 02:24:23 PM »

I think a lot of it depends on the type of arabian. Egyptian arabians are usually the smaller ones (around 14.2 hands), Polish max out at around 15.3 hands, Crabbets fall between the Egyptian and Polish heights, and I think (but I'm not sure as I don't know a lot about Russians even though I own one) Russians are usually around 15 hands.

~Friend Confident and Soulmate, in our hearts forever~
TF Shahil 3/13/80-04/17/04
swim-n-ride

allosp
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 03:20:02 PM »

actually, those stereotypes of height according to Polish/Egyptian/Crabbet, etc... are pretty outdated. Breeders of ALL bloodlines have been breeding taller Arabians for the show ring for many generations now.
jnjarabiansjm

jackifantasia
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 09:15:55 AM »

well the stallion is a polish crabbet stallion and is very typey and refined.he is a halter horse and has western movment.he has older breeding in him though,mostly bask and dam has breeding that looks really old.i would put a picture for you to see but i dont know how to do it..
HorsyChic

i luv my midnight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 08:17:39 AM »

My Polish arab that was mal-nurished ( Embarrassed) is 14.3 hands
I think the mom was 15 (polish)
The stallion was aroung 16 hand (polish)

Alexia Applegate
The proud owner/mommy of

SASPRESSO'S STORM!!!

5th place in showmanship at his first open show!
jnjarabiansjm

jackifantasia
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 01:05:55 PM »

well the lady that i bought him from looked like she took care of her horses so i dont think it was mal-nutrition.he looked great when i bought him as a yearling but i dont know maybe he was just a fluck horse who is born small,lol but i still love him
smokygirl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 06:03:34 PM »

The Spanish horses generally are taller.. they all descend (very closely) from the lines used by the YM Stud (state stud of Spain), and they were bred for military purposes. A taller horse, but still very substantial, was what was bred for.  Most are around 15.1-16.1hh.  While individual breeders have changed what they breed for (no longer Military horses), since the core stock hasn't changed, many still fall in this range (some smaller, some larger, but most), with the addition of the Spanish blood to a lot of lines, this has raised the avg height of some of the horses (i.e. Magnum Psyche is 15.2hh and is half spanish. Sharem El Sheikh was 1/4 spanish and about 16hh. Magnum's son out of a Sharem daughter, Affirmmed, is around 16hh).  So there is a great variation.  Many of the Park horses are shorter than this, as a lot are bred back to Bask, and he was not tall (some say around 14.3hh), and his son Zodiac Matador also was not tall. Barbary is not known for his height either. Many of the working western horses will be around 15hh (because that's about the right size for the job is one reason), and they go back to horses that were around 15hh. 
siiiamese

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 06:28:28 AM »

the best size also will depend on the size of the rider
many of the "shorter" horses look fabulous with a shorter/smaller rider - - a large rider on a small horse does not present as nice a picture
swim-n-ride

allosp
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 09:05:09 AM »

I have seen some very malnourished youngsters grow to very big horses, even bigger than their parents in some cases. It seems these critters can tolerate a lot of neglect, and still grow to the size determined by genetics.
I have a friend with a half arab whose dam was 14.3, sire was 15.1 and this "baby" is 16.3 at 3 yrs old! Now that's gotta be a recessive gene somewhere!
larapintavian

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 10:25:21 AM »

the best size also will depend on the size of the rider
many of the "shorter" horses look fabulous with a shorter/smaller rider - - a large rider on a small horse does not present as nice a picture
Best answer I've seen yet, and so true.  It's the match of H/R that counts.

As for the person that said Egyptians are small .... someone ought to tell that to my stallion's maternal half siblings.  My boy is the smallest of the siblings at an honest, on the stick (with 'bubbles'), barefoot on concrete, 15.2.  He has a sister a full 15.3+ and brothers that are 16.0, 16.1 and almost 16.2 ... all on the 'stick'.  We've personally seen these SEs. Since we Event on the open USEF/USEA circuit, we're very used to being surrounded by really big Wbs and Tbs, and these SE boys are really that large.  The purebred Arab E-sired Eventer in my avatar just touches 16.0.

Our 'little' SE stallion is 15.0, and the mares were 15.1 and 15.2.  The yearling colt measured 14.1+ at 10 months, who knows how big he'll be (sire 15.2, dam 15.1 ... but both have larger horses in their pedigrees).

Yes, we do select somewhat for size, as my rider is 5'9" and always aims for the upper Eventing levels (which means BIG fences).  It's simply easier for her to 'stay with' the larger horses (but not too large...gotta be handy too) over those big fences.  A talented horse is more important to us than a huge horse and, in our sport, we often see small riders trying valliantly to 'wrestle' with a horse that is much too large for them, especially in the beginning and lower levels. They eventually learn better.

Sharon

Larapinta Sport Horses
Emphasis on Arab Eventers
Danena

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 10:25:20 PM »

Everyone has been breeding for taller horses. Especially Egyptian bred Arabians. But according to the breeding rules where they are supose to judge the horse according to type. Then any horse over 14.3 is supose to be penalized. If you want to stay true to the breed then 14.3 is as tall as they should be. Arabians are not supose to be a large breed of horse but they can carry a lot of weight easy. It is our own ego and what we think we look like on a smaller horse that makes us want to change the breed to suit us. Now that I have said that. The horses I own are 15 hands but I am excited if I can get one right at 14.3. I Usually only buy horses that are no bigger then 14.3 for that reason.
arabiannit

cowpatty00
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 06:29:30 PM »

Yes, I agree that it is a bit frustrating to know what is actually concidered the correct size for the Arabians, no matter what type. I have a purebred Crabbit mare with Bask being her great granddaddy on both sides. Her Sire was built like her, fine and elegant as was her dame. She is smaller that most Arabians I compete against in Open shows, but consistantly wins non-the-less Smiley. When we bought her she was being shown at the Youth Nationals 10 and under Hunt Seat and Western Pl. We where told at the time that her being used in the youth division was fine for her size, but we would be laughted out of the ring if we took her into adult classes. I do think that a lot of people have the mantality "bigger is better" and have bred for that. But you look back in history and you see very few tall Arabians, God made them small, tough, intellegent and loving. I say, "don't fool with mother nature", they were perfect the way they were. I tend to try to purchase Arabians where the breeding programs do their best to keep the blood line pure, to try to keep what God created, like God created, not what people think is an improvement. We can't improve what God has made perfect in the first place, thats just my opinion. I've often been tempted to take her to a large Arabian show to see just how she'd fit in. But I'm not currently a good enough rider, I don't think, to even be able to show her half as good as she is capable. 
thmeyer

Family Distance Riding

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 12:36:58 PM »

Sorry arabiannit, your Crabbet mare can't be pure Crabbet if she has Bask in her pedigree.  Bask was Polish bred.  So she's likely Crabbet/Polish.  A nice combination!
But anyway to size, a couple weeks ago I used my hubby's 14.2 gelding to mark trail for a endurance/competitive trail ride.  I usually use my 14.3 - 15 mare.  Let me tell you that one inch makes a huge difference when you have to get on and off lots of time to put up signs!  Also a few days later, a friend with a 15.2 or 15.3 half arab pinto wanted to trade down to a 14.2 horse.  I'm wondering if the bigger is better will slowly lose it's glamour once us babyboomers get older and find it harder to mount those 15+ hand "giants."

Theresa in MN
larapintavian

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »

A good horse is a good size and fits the rider.

Official standard is 14.2 -15.2 with individuals that may be over or under... I think that's already been posted.

Agreed that when marking trail, etc. and for us Sr. citizens, smaller is better, lol.  That said, when did my endurance riding it was on a homebred 15.2 half Arab.  Now my preference is about 14.3, but the horse better have a SUPERIOR long striding walk as I simply can't stand going nowhere at any gait.

As mentioned in my former post, my daughter does USEF/USEA Eventing in the upper levels.  She's tall and riding a lot of big, solid, fences too, but even she doesn't like to ride a horse (even her favorite Anglo Arabs) that is over 16.1 ... just not agile enough for today's technical courses.  In her sport, size is not as big a deal as most people think it is (look at the pony, Theodore O'Connor, Eventing at the **** level VERY successfully including Gold at the Pan Am Games, etc.).  A smaller horse that is a good athlete can be very successful ... IF the rider can stay with the 'pocket rocket'.  Grin

Sharon

Larapinta Sport Horses
Emphasis on Arab Eventers
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: