Home  |  About AHA  |  Contact Us  |  FAQ

July 30, 2014      
Members Login   
AHA Community Forum
July 30, 2014, 02:01:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the AHA Forums!  To visit the site as a guest, simply go to "Home" on the Forums navigation.  You will not be able to post comments or responses without logging in.

Every person wishing to log in will need to create a new username and password for this board, regardless of activity on the previous board. Simply go to "register."

***Please remember, your username is the name that others will publically see for you.
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: HALF ARABIAN HALF PERCHERON PREFORMANCE HORSES  (Read 8227 times)
jnjarabiansjm

jackifantasia
View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 09, 2008, 01:15:46 PM »

I AM A BREEDER OF HALF ARABIAN HALF PERCHERON PERFORMANCE HORSES IN THE ENGLISH PLEASURE AND PARK DIVISONS.ONE OF MY FIRST HORSES IS GOING TO BE SHOWN THIS SUMMER AND I AM REALLY EXCITED.JUST WONDERING WHAT YOUR THOUGHTS WERE ON BREEDING A TOTALLY NEW ENGLISH PREFORMANCE HORSE?
n2halfarabs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 05:19:19 PM »

That would be interesting... I have an Arab/Percheron mare... but she's built more for Sport Horse, Dressage (show @ Training Level, and schooling 1st Level!!), and Hunter... hence, that's what I show her in. (My avatar is a pic of my Allie!)  Wink

Would like to see some pics (or a website w/ pics!) of your Arab/Percheron crosses!  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 10:10:04 AM by n2halfarabs » Logged

Allie Bint Kedar +/  [REI-Rhema Kedar X Riverviews Laura Lyn]
2009 ECC HA/AA Mares SHIH TOP 5
2009 R15 HA Training Level Open CHAMPION
2008-2010 R15 HA Training Level  AATR TOP 5's
2010 R15 HA First Level AATR & Open Top 5
2011 R15 HA Training Level AATR Reserve Champion
HorsyChic

i luv my midnight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 01:19:28 PM »

Yes, that would be quite an interesting cross! PICS PLZ!

Alexia Applegate
The proud owner/mommy of

SASPRESSO'S STORM!!!

5th place in showmanship at his first open show!
larapintavian

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 06:43:04 PM »

Maryjo's gelding, Made In The Shade, is a fine upper level dressage horse (Arab/Perch of course).  He was featured in a recent issue of the AHA mag.

One of our stallions has also sired two nice Arab/Perch's.  The mare now is in Pa with Kenyon Brewer.  Both started their early training very nicely in Eventing.

Daalim's Tallisman

Winston
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 07:00:42 PM by larapintavian » Logged

Sharon

Larapinta Sport Horses
Emphasis on Arab Eventers
HorsyChic

i luv my midnight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 04:42:37 AM »

WOW! They are gorgeous! They remind me of an Andalusion!

Alexia Applegate
The proud owner/mommy of

SASPRESSO'S STORM!!!

5th place in showmanship at his first open show!
larapintavian

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 06:06:26 AM »

jnjararabiansjm .... there must be a typo in your website link here, it doesn't work .... at least for me.

HorsyChic, thanks.  Maryjo's "Shade" is really a spectacular horse.  MJ rode him in several disciplines before concentrating on Dressage.  The first pic of him is with her coach in the irons.  Wish I could locate a recent pic (I KNOW she's posted an even better one than the one in Modern Arabian Horse) of her riding him at Prix St. George or I1.  She's earned both her USDF Bronze and Silver medals on Shade.

"Tally" and Kenyon (who got her about a year ago) have been doing the Arab shows (SHUS, SHIH, and a bit over fences) and were at SHN last year.  Pretty good feat for a very green young mare and a busy veterinarian.  Kenyon wants to eventually Event which is why Tally was selected (won her first BN event here with Chrissi).  Kenyon will be taking her to a clinic with Jim Wofford this summer.  Tally is also inspected Red Premium and branded AWS.

Winston, unfortunately, is standing idle warming a pasture.  He was ready to start competition eventing, but his owner was not (she's VERY green in the saddle) and her fairly accomplished daughter is no longer riding. The owner can't bear to give him up (though she's had impressive offers), but neither can she afford to have someone else compete him, so he stands there well cared for and greatly loved but doing nothing under saddle.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 06:17:56 AM by larapintavian » Logged

Sharon

Larapinta Sport Horses
Emphasis on Arab Eventers
Lridgeway

If only closed minds came with closed mouths.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 10:31:16 AM »

I AM A BREEDER OF HALF ARABIAN HALF PERCHERON PERFORMANCE HORSES IN THE ENGLISH PLEASURE AND PARK DIVISONS.ONE OF MY FIRST HORSES IS GOING TO BE SHOWN THIS SUMMER AND I AM REALLY EXCITED.JUST WONDERING WHAT YOUR THOUGHTS WERE ON BREEDING A TOTALLY NEW ENGLISH PREFORMANCE HORSE?

I would not have considered this cross as a potential English or Park horse.  I would be very interested in seeing pictures of them moving under saddle.  I always figured percherons as the draftiest (is that a word?) moving horses but have seen Clydsdales that trotted level.

Laurie Ridgeway
n2halfarabs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:43:36 PM »

I would not have considered this cross as a potential English or Park horse.  I would be very interested in seeing pictures of them moving under saddle.  I always figured percherons as the draftiest (is that a word?) moving horses but have seen Clydsdales that trotted level.

Laurie... I was thinking the same thing... Sport Horse, Dressage, Jumper, 3 day Eventer, etc... Sure... But, I wouldn't think the cross would make for a good English / Park Horse either...

Can ya post some pics for us  jnjarabiansjm???

Allie Bint Kedar +/  [REI-Rhema Kedar X Riverviews Laura Lyn]
2009 ECC HA/AA Mares SHIH TOP 5
2009 R15 HA Training Level Open CHAMPION
2008-2010 R15 HA Training Level  AATR TOP 5's
2010 R15 HA First Level AATR & Open Top 5
2011 R15 HA Training Level AATR Reserve Champion
chambe94

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 07:04:30 AM »

I think it would depend on the "type" of percheron you are breeding to.  The more modern "Hitchy" type that they use in the show ring can really get thier feet up, but most don't have as much "sit" in thier back end as you would like for EP.  I would want to cross with an arab with and EXCEPTIONAL hind end to get and EP (or CEP) horse.

He's a link to an ad that show the more modern Perch movement:
http://www.percheronhorse.org/forsale/Freemon%20Miller.jpg

GrandFinale

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 08:18:40 PM »

How did the show season go with the half Perch/half Arab???  I've often thought of that cross myself.  I had a Perch stallion that was a HUGE mover and would have made awesome native costume horses!!! 

SJ Grand Finale
Granteds Justice
Kay Langmuir

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 07:59:13 AM »

Please spread the word to everyone who has information or interest in arab-percheron crosses -- there will soon be a new website and a re-opened registry of these crosses, known as Desert Normans.
Please pass my email along to anyone who may have an interest, but especially to those who have arab percheron crosses (Desert Normans).
I am especially looking to profile, with photos, Desert Normans who are currently showing successfully in various disciplines. For example, someone  mentioned a show horse called Made in the Shade who was featured in a magazine a while back. I'd be grateful if someone could point me to the owner and/or article.
Of the photos I receive, one or more horses will be chosen to be the featured photos on the home page - the "model" Desert Normans as it were.
I also encourage anyone who previously registered a horse with the Desert Norman Horse Registry to contact me so I can ensure your animal is in our database. The registry operated initially from 2000-2003, but then became inactive when its founder took ill, and some computer records were lost in the interim. 
The website should be up in less than a month, with online registration forms. photo gallery, breed history and information, breeding guidelines/advice, chat boards, and a classifieds section for DNs and DN breeding stock for sale.
Any input appreciated.
Many thanks for your help,
Kay Langmuir
[kaylangmuir@cogeco.ca]
Maryjoh

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 02:25:31 PM »

I am the owner and rider of Made In The Shade +/ . 

We are preparing for Grand Prix for later this year.

MaryJo
Kay Langmuir

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 04:44:27 PM »

Please see my earlier post on this thread for details on how this cross is being promoted as a emerging breed.
And would Maryjoh, owner of Made in the Shade, please email me directly so I could learn more about her horse and his show career. I would love to be able to profile him on the website as an example of what this breed is capable of.
Thanks,
Kay Langmuir
kaylangmuir@cogeco.ca
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: